U.S. Naval Station Historic District and Points of Interest
Tutuila, American Samoa
by John Enright
American Samoa Historic Preservation Officer
The village of Fagatogo is the center of American Samoa. As the administrative headquarters of the U.S. Naval Base Tutuila from 1900 to 1951, it was for many decades the most westernized village in the Territory--the only village with a paved road, for instance.
At the end of the Navy's administration, in 1951, there were approximately 105 structures on the station; today only fourteen remain. In 1988, most of the remaining Naval buildings both in Fagatogo and in the neighboring village of Utulei were entered onto the National Register of Historic Places as part of the U.S. Naval Station Tutuila Historic District. The map of the historic district includes all the existing building that are part of the National Register Historic District as well as a few buildings and sites of general interest some of which may be nominated to the historic district at a later date.